The delivery inspection is the procedure used to check and determine whether there is any damage or shortage in the merchandise transported and, when such is the case, to process the claim with Ferromex. The customer is entitled to request a delivery inspection when:
- The seals applied at origin have been broken
- The unit is received with different seals from those applied at origin, provided the seals have not been substituted as a result of actions taken by the authorities
- The freight arrives at the destination in a different unit than the one in which it was packed at origin, or
- The unit has been involved in an accident
The delivery inspection service is provided free of charge and interrupts the calculation of demurrage provided the information given is accurate and the requisites established are met, otherwise the cost of the service will be charged to the customer applying the other services tariff in effect and the demurrage the unit has generated.
1. General Requisites
- The shipper, the consignee, or the paying customer as indicated on the shipping documentation is the only person that can request a delivery inspection
- The seals applied and their numbers must be registered in the shipping documentation
- The delivery inspection must be requested within 24 hours following the placement and/or receiving of the unit
- The customer must have paid the carriage in order for a delivery inspection to be opened
Cases where a request for delivery inspection is not permitted:
2.1 When the seals:
- Are correct and intact
- Were not applied at the point of origin (in the case of importations, the origin is the border)
- Were not declared in the shipping documentation at the point of origin or at the border
- Were not applied correctly
- Were broken or removed without the delivery inspector being present
- Were changed as a result of an inspection by any authority
2.2 When the merchandise:
- Was transported in open units (gondolas, flatcars, etc.)
- Involves hazardous products
- Due to its nature, incurs natural shrinkage
2.3 Other causes:
3.1 Submit the request for delivery inspection to the quality assurance department at email@example.com within 24 hours following the placement and/or receiving of the unit
3.2 In the event the request for delivery inspection is denied, the Ferromex quality assurance coordinator will inform the requester to this effect within 24 hours of receiving the request so they may unload and release the unit. In these cases, the free time will not be extended.
4. Execution of the delivery inspection
4.1 The quality assurance coordinator will analyze the request for delivery inspection based on the information provided and will approve or deny the request. They will then, when such is the case, designate a delivery inspector to arrange a time for the inspection with the requester within 24 hours.
4.2 The delivery inspection will be canceled if the unit presents any alteration or does not match that reported in the request.
4.3 The persons designated by Ferromex and the customer or the consignee proceed to count the goods received and compare these to the bill of lading to determine shortages or damages. On completion, the delivery inspection record is drawn up confirming the results and will be signed by the persons participating in the delivery inspection. The original of this report is given to the customer and/or their representative and Ferromex keeps the copy.
5. Indemnity for damages or shortages
Ferromex will pay the customer the amount of the loss determined by the delivery inspection, discounting the deductible corresponding, within 15 business days of reaching agreement on the amount and receiving the documentation listed following:
- Original of the delivery inspection record
- Claim letter from the owner of the goods indicating the amount claimed
- Letter indicating whether the freight traveled insured by the customer, in which case the policy number and insurance carrier must be provided
- Original of the bill of lading
- Commercial invoice or document that supports the cost of the goods claimed. In the case of importations, include a certified copy of the customs declaration and customs invoices
- Original of the carriage invoice paid clearly identifying the shipment in the units where the damaged goods are detected
- Invoice for the indemnity amount the customer will receive, without itemizing the VAT
The customer is not permitted to discount open claims or balances owed to the customer from their payments to Ferromex.
6. Freight verification service
This service is different from the delivery inspection conducted at the request of the customer and for causes not imputable to Ferromex, and is subject to charge as established in the other services tariff. Ferromex is not obliged to provide this service. A report is issued following on the state in which the freight arrived.